Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Being Still

There comes a time when as Christians we may just need to take some time and be still before the Lord. It's nothing to be upset about, it's not even anything to be afraid of. Take it as God is just wanting to spend time with you and you alone. No distractions. Psalm 46:10 says to Be still and know that I am God. I love how the message puts this scripture:"Step out of the traffic! Take a long, loving look at me, your High God, above politics, above everything."

  • Step out of the traffic- Remove yourself from distractions. This doesn't mean to go totally solitude. You don't have to do everything. God has appointed his people to do something specific for the kingdom. He places people where he wants them. The eyes were not created to do the work of the mouth; the feet were not created to do the work of the hands. Each body part has a certain task.
  • Long, loving look at God- You've stepped away from whatever distraction(s) and now you just need to focus. Take a look at God. Meditate on Him. Talk to Him. Tell Him how much you love Him. Maybe He wants you to pull away because we don't tell Him enough or show him enough how much we love Him. We let too much of our flesh get in the way, then we forget why we're really doing what we're supposed to be doing.



Just to give an example:

I'm no stranger to the church platform. Sang my first solo when I was four. Then around the age 11 or 12 I began to play in our church band/orchestra. At age 16 singing became more of my passion and I began to pursue that direction. I knew that God had blessed me with musical talents and gifts. As I got older, the passion for singing just kept getting stronger, but where was I at with my walk? I can say that I barely had one. The only thing I could say was that I was "saved". The seriousness of my walk didn't come into play until March 2003 at a Winterfest Conference in Knoxville, TN. This was the weekend that God knocked on my hearts door and said, "Are you ready?"  I said "Yes!" The next night I was filled with the Holy Spirit. What an amazing feeling!!

Well, I've become so comfortable and content with what I was doing, my focus began to slip. I wanted to excel in what I did, but I was beginning to want it for the wrong reason. I could care less about leading, or having a solo. I just wanted people to know that I knew what I was doing and that I knew it well.

Eventually, that would have turned into a very ugly picture. Thank God though for answered prayers and for his confirmation. Do I necessarily like the answer? No, but it's okay. Some of us Christians are so ADHD that God needs to take out our energizer battery and put us to a halt. He says, "WHOA!!! Hold it!!! I need for you to just BE STILL!"

No comments:

Post a Comment