Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Vessel

In my morning session with my Abba Father earlier, while studying some passages, I came across this scripture:

Romans 9:21, “Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?

I thought to myself that could preach!!!! Anyway, I started to meditate on this verse and the conclusion that came to my heart and mind was that I want God to make me a vessel of honor. I don't want to be someone He will one day despise and say “Depart from me, I never knew you!”

I am, as the rest of the human race, are formed from the dust of the ground and molded out of clay. Each of us are made differently. My desire is to be the best that I can be for God, my Father. You might say, “How can I be that vessel of honor?” By fully surrendering to Him. He wants all of you and not just pieces of you. We need to understand that God has ALL power over our lives. I know that most, if not all of us have heard the saying, “I brought you into this world, I can take you out!” Well, God can do that. Just like the snap of His fingers, he can smash up your clay lump and say, “I'm done!”

Sometimes I wonder what God is thinking while sitting at His potter wheel. Yes, I imagine a potter's wheel. Does it even go through His mind that he's done tried and tried to make this person a certain way, but that person is just not holding up? No matter how much more clay he puts on to add stability and no matter how much water he uses to smooth it all out... the vessel is just not wanting to cooperate. Have you ever seen a potter work with clay? Or I even remember back in elementary and middle school, we as students in art class making clay pots/bowls. I remember that if there wasn't just the right amount of clay, my bowl wouldn't hold up, especially when it got into the furnace. Then to smooth out all the kinks and try to remove all the fingerprints, I would add some water. I would do so by taking my finger or using a small paint brush. Everything had to be just the right amount. If too much clay was used, then the piece of work would be to lumpy.

When I picture God at His wheel, I see sometimes he's having to add clay and smooth out with water. Other times I see Him having to remove clay because there just too much. There would be no balance. I'd be a lumpy vessel. I would be of dishonor. My God is a God of honor. He will make His children vessels of honor, but only if we will surrender wholly and completely to Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment